04 January 2005

It's like I don't do anything but read books...

Okay, so there's not really too much about games being posted here at the moment. So it goes. Anyhow, it was suggested to me that maybe keeping track of every book read would be an interesting thing to do in a blog. Which seems so to me, even if just so that I can remember them all. So I'll do that. Every book I read will be noted and commented on, some extensively. I suspect in many cases I'll return and do a more detailed review later.

So, the books I got for Christmas and a couple from the library to start it all off.

The Penguin History Of New Zealand by Michael King. Okay, so as a New Zealander I ought to have read this already. Anyhow, a very good history. Not too much detail but not missing anything either.

The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists by Gideon Defoe. An extremely silly book but quite good. The Pirate Captain and his crew rescue Darwin and FitzRoy from the Beagle and end up fighting Bishop Wilberforce in London. Doesn't actually deal with issues of religion and science, just pirates and Blackadder-style historical parody.

The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell. First book in a new series in which we observe the reign of Alfred the Great. Like most of his books, the hero is set up to see things from both sides and be involved just enough to see everything important. Really good but mainly setting up the characters, so I'm eagerly looking forward to the second one.

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke. Astoundingly good. English gentleman magicians during the Napoleonic Wars attempting to return magic to England. The England of the book is the one found in novels rather than history books, with the addition of the kingdom of the Raven King in the north in the middle ages.

Crucible by Nancy Kress. Second in a series of colonisation of another planet (after Crossfire). Better than the first, which was good. I especially like that, unlike most other authors writing such stories, the whole planet's ecosystem does not turn out to be the lifecycle of one organism or similarly interconnected.

The Crooked Letter by Sean Williams. First, a good fantasy novel. Second, what is it with Australian sf/fantasy authors called Sean?

No comments: